Favorite Distribution?

You have a question or problem? Or you just want to discuss something related to GNU/Linux or programming (c/c++, java, bash, perl, php and other scripting languages) or other computer stuff

Re: Favorite Distribution?

Postby NullByte » May 22nd, 2013, 5:11 pm

I love Debian so much that my girlfriend is getting envy :D
NULL
NullByte
Fewona Staff

Postby o.0 » August 15th, 2013, 7:57 am

I have started to use sabayon a lot lately so I am thinking of going into the gentoo arena slowly. Debian/ubuntu just does not seem to be my sort of thing!
o.0

Postby ac0^ » August 15th, 2013, 9:07 am

CentOS is on all of my servers. ^^
ac0^

Postby DarkEnergy » September 1st, 2013, 7:36 pm

My favorite OS-es:
Archlinux - For its bleeding edge simplicity and speed, and of course little time wasted on compiling. I'm using arch for already more than 8 years
Gentoo - For its speed and customizability and personalization, you can compile everything and adjust for your own fav use, e.g. no kde, no gnome support, no pulse, no support for something you will never use. Gentoo I'm using for last 6-7 years
Debian - For its stability also a good decent speed, large amount of packages, copyleft based licence, and again for stabillity. Debian I'm using from around 1996.
FreeBSD - for its also very good stability great features great amount of ports. On my opinion its best BSD system out there. I'm using FreeBSD last 5-6 years.

Also I love many other distros that are for specific purposes like BT5, Kali, Tiny Core Linux,Scientific ...
Also to note I like also Slackware and Fedora.

Then also to mention which distros I dont like. That are Ubuntu and LinuxMint which is based on ubuntu, Its for their slowness and for their stands toward other linux communities.
DarkEnergy

Postby NullByte » September 12th, 2013, 10:59 am

DarkEnergy wrote:My favorite OS-es:
Archlinux - For its bleeding edge simplicity and speed, and of course little time wasted on compiling. I'm using arch for already more than 8 years
Gentoo - For its speed and customizability and personalization, you can compile everything and adjust for your own fav use, e.g. no kde, no gnome support, no pulse, no support for something you will never use. Gentoo I'm using for last 6-7 years
Debian - For its stability also a good decent speed, large amount of packages, copyleft based licence, and again for stabillity. Debian I'm using from around 1996.
FreeBSD - for its also very good stability great features great amount of ports. On my opinion its best BSD system out there. I'm using FreeBSD last 5-6 years.

Also I love many other distros that are for specific purposes like BT5, Kali, Tiny Core Linux,Scientific ...
Also to note I like also Slackware and Fedora.

Then also to mention which distros I dont like. That are Ubuntu and LinuxMint which is based on ubuntu, Its for their slowness and for their stands toward other linux communities.

Nice to hear you use GNU/Linux a lot :) Which of those you think is the most easy to use?
NULL
NullByte
Fewona Staff

Previous

Return to Computer Science